Your pets can be exposed to many different parasites in the course of their lives. It’s important to know both how to guard against these pests and how to deal with them, since they can affect not only your pet’s health but have the potential to impact yours as well. Bodhi Animal Hospital can help you keep both your animal and human family safe from parasites.
Symptoms of Parasites
Signs that your pet suffers from parasites may include:
- Changes in behavior
- Changes in appetite
- Constant scratching
- Irritated skin
- Recurrent diarrhea
- Weight loss
San Diego Parasite Prevention
Common parasites that dogs and cats encounter include:
- Fleas. The most common parasite found on pets, fleas attach to animals and feed off them. They can cause skin allergies in your pet and also transmit other parasites like tapeworms.
- Ticks. Ticks bite into pets and feed on their blood. Since they can carry diseases like Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever—which can be transmitted to people as well—they can be highly dangerous. Ticks can also cause fever and anemia.
- Tapeworms. Tapeworms attach to an animal’s intestines. Aside from white, rice-like bits on your pet’s hind parts or feces, they can be hard to detect.
- Heartworms. Heartworm is transmitted by mosquitos. Once a pet is infected, heartworms reproduce within the pulmonary artery, leading to constrictive blood flow and potential heart failure.
Good Parasite Prevention Steps
Some good steps for protecting your pets from parasites include:
- Cleaning bedding, blankets, and carpets regularly
- Being wary of shady outdoor areas
- Spraying insecticides
- Providing clean drinking water
- Keeping wild animals out of your yard
Your pet should be able to enjoy each season itch-free. Contact us today for an appointment.